Saturday, October 18, 2014

four latino pirates

why is it that trouble comes up to you when you are doing nothing but minding your own business? wrong place at the right time. again. i’m sitting out on the deck of my boat in the harbor. a mooring with a dozen or so other boats moored out there. it’s a funny little situation with it’s funny little aggravations. i’m the only female out here right now, so it cuts both ways. probably always will. right on this night though, there are no neighbors around. my closest neighbor just happens to be on land for a week visiting friends (of his convenient excuses for the stupid shit i saw, this was the first). my gbf out here is no good in a emergency. he’s more of a woman than me. god love him. the boat in question this night was empty for awhile. captain crook is in jail & his woman is 'visiting family' (rehab again this year alone). i’m out here all alone. didn’t give me a moment’s pause until these guys saw me.

so, i’m sitting out on my deck. laptop in front of me. it throws a lot of light, especially at full dark, so i don’t know how they weren't aware of me from the very beginning. i had the music on & up. i’d figure, but i don’t know, that it would at least be even faintly heard from there. guess not. this little fishing boat, quite beat up but still decent enough from first glance comes right up to peter pan’s mooring. i could hear the guys talking. at first i thought it was the FWP. put a few little things away & get my glasses on. little fishing boat. went right up to my neighbor’s boat & it being dark, i saw two colored lights & assumed it was the popo. wouldn't surprise me being theirs. but then i noticed that none of them were in uniform & they were all speaking spanish. and they were reaching over their boat, apparently fooling with the mooring. now i’m really looking at the boat. trying to distinguish the guys.


this whole thing took like five minutes or less. time seems to stretch when you are alarmed. these guys are having some discussion & swing their boat over near the back of my neighbor’s boat. this is stretching on & i’m getting a bad feeling, still i say nothing. just watch, look & listen. but i get my phone in my hand & pull up the camera. just getting it ready. damn. then they all turn & look at me. there was plenty of light on me. i hadn't really moved or anything. my phone was next to me. they speak to each other hurriedly. not good at understanding spanish. certainly not good when it’s four guys talking all at once, at a distance & not slowly. they are still facing me. the guy sitting down says something & they part so i can see him & he can see me. that’s when i raise the camera & take a picture. damn. flash wasn’t on. whatever i had been photographing lately, i had changed the settings.


i start fooling with the settings as these guys slowly take off towards my boat. it’s like 20 or 30 feet away. i drop that idea, send a text (i had been texting someone, so a 'hey, if u don't hear from me again...), reach for the baton as these guys swing around the bow of my boat & come up on my side.


there is a difference between tone & substance, and sometimes there’s not. you’ll never know if you don’t get past the tone, and 1 in a 1000 don’t. standing up to these guys quickly showed them exactly what. the rest they could guess what the substance was gonna be. this was just a strong presence. i didn't say a word. i didn’t show real aggression. i didn’t open my mouth. i stood on the gunwale of my boat, baton in one hand & ‘camera’ in another. it was my phone & i never did get the damn flash turned on, so i stood there taking screen shots for the similar noise it makes to taking photos. plus, i had the light of it facing them, i figured it was something.


they backed off real quick, but not before i got a good look at the guy sitting down giving the orders. long sleeve white shirt with collar. long, darkish pants, full length. must have had some kind of hat on. hard to believe hair has that kind of texture to it. most things were in at least some sort of silhouette, but the shape & perceived texture told me it was a hat of some sort. no clue what though. they had a light on in their boat. he pointed & talked to his guys in spanish as they got closer & closer to my boat. got within 10 feet of me. i kept snapping screenshots. i let the baton rest down by my side, but it was turned out just enough so they could see i at least had something substantial in my hand.

they went off into the water, but not far. they turned off their lights, but i could hear them talking for awhile. they went away, finally. think it was their same boat that went around the harbor just a short while later. came from the right area & had the same lighting, but don’t they all? i slept out on my deck until about 2am. i bought a few things out to keep tucked but within reach should they come back. only about seven weapons. so glad i never have to use that shit. the human animal is the most unpredictable, and the most capable of senseless destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment